Over 100 years ago, America was little less than a year away from declaring war on Germany and entering World War I, ” The War to end all Wars”. TBI injuries would occur, but we did not have the knowledge or medical advances to understand what was occurring in the brain, we called it “Shell Shock”. Over one hundred years later, we are unraveling the puzzle. To read the National Geographic article Shell Shock – The 100-year Mystery May Now Be Solved, Please Click Here.
For this 4th of July, Independence Day, Let US remember that:
“TBI takes away Independence -We Work to Get it BACK! “
Please Support the RLF employment initiative
Resurrect a Hero – Strengthen a Nation
Resurrecting Lives Foundation – 2016 Employment Initiative: “INVEST in VETS” Program
Providing employment for our returning heroes with TBI with employers interested in a long term commitments and opportunities for advancement, education, and growth.
Resurrect a HERO – Strengthen a Nation
1. 2.7 million men and women have deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan over the last 13 years, and it is estimated that nearly 450,000 suffer from mild Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) as a result of their service. Rand Corporation predicts TBI in 20 % of our military. www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9336/index1.html
2. TBI is manifested by memory problems, processing difficulties, and, at times, difficulty learning new information without proper training. However, the treatment through cognitive retraining and vocational initiatives utilizing military discipline and skills will retrain the brain for civilian employment. – In these young brains, retraining is key, and connecting the hero with TBI with an employer willing to take a few extra weeks of training, is, our 2016 mission. Employment is key to resurrecting these warriors.
3. Unemployment rates among our heroes remain high, higher than the non-veteran, or, around 9% for post 9/11 Veterans. www.adn.com/2014/03/20/3384751/higher-jobless-rates-for-iraq.html
4. More Discharges with military draw down will increase the need for employment.
5. Our mission in 2016 is to connect our heroes with mTBI to an employer with positions matching the Veterans skills and aptitudes and to continue the long term relationship for reintegration and advancement.
6. We will enlighten employers of the many benefits in employing Veterans.
7. We will seek to provide employment for heroes and their families by starting a model in OHIO which can be replicated throughout the nation. We will partner with national companies with the opportunities of hiring men/women of multiple skill sets.
WON’T YOU JOIN US?
Resurrect a Hero – Strengthen YOUR company.
Chrisanne Gordon, MD Founder and Executive Director Resurrecting Lives Foundation
Resurrecting Lives Foundation is proud to be a GuideStar Exchange Member